Since joining the league in 2017, Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes quarterback set multiple records, won numerous awards, and led his team to the Super Bowl twice.
Mahomes' impressive athleticism and natural talent have made him a household name among football fans, and his achievements both on and off the field have solidified his status as one of the league's most exciting and influential players.
In this article, we'll take a closer look at what sets Mahomes apart from other quarterbacks in the league.
Perhaps the most obviously notable is his incredible arm talent, which allows him to make throws that most other quarterbacks can only dream of. In his first full season as a starter in 2018, Mahomes threw for over 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns, becoming only the second quarterback in NFL history to do so (the first being Peyton Manning in 2013).
Patrick Mahomes' mental toughness helped lead his team, the Kansas City Chiefs, to victory in Super Bowl LIV.
Despite throwing two interceptions and trailing by 10 points with under 10 minutes left in the game, Mahomes rallied his team and assured them they could still win. He then led the team to score 21 unanswered points and win the game.
Mahomes' calm demeanor under pressure and an ability to make split-second decisions contributed to the mental toughness and leadership skills needed to carry his team to victory.
We can display leadership qualities like Patrick Mahomes by cultivating a similar sense of mental toughness and composure under pressure. By developing the ability to make quick decisions, and persevere in the face of setbacks, we too can inspire confidence in our colleagues, friends and family just like Mahomes.
According to his trainer Bobby Stroupe, Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is known for being the most prolific sleeper in professional sports - sleeping 10 hours a night and napping often throughout the day. Stroupes credits his ample rest as key to his recovery from a kneecap injury.
We can enhance our recovery by prioritizing rest - improving the quality of our sleep.
Here are 3 quick ways to improve sleep quality:
- Stick to a consistent sleep schedule, going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, even on weekends.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine that includes winding down activities such as reading, or listening to calming music.
- Make sure your sleeping environment is conducive to sleep by keeping your bedroom cool, dark and quiet, and investing in a comfortable mattress and pillows.
Proving that mastering the mind helps the mastery of athleticism, Mahomes uses meditation to help him perform at his maximum capacity during high-pressure situations. The star athlete says that meditation helps him refocus and clears his mind, allowing him to stay focused on the game.
Mahomes learned about meditation from a mental performance consultant when he was in college, and he has continued to implement the practice in his professional career. The consultant taught Mahomes that the mind can only focus on six things at a time and that deliberately putting what athletes need front and center is critical to enhancing focus and confidence.
Here are 3 ways to incorporate meditation in your routine as a beginner:
- Start small: Begin with a short meditation session, like 5-10 minutes, and gradually increase the duration as you become more comfortable with the practice.
- Create a routine: Choose a specific time and place to meditate each day, such as after waking up or before going to bed, to help make meditation a consistent part of your daily routine.
- Use guided meditations: Guided meditations, which are led by a teacher or through a meditation app, can be helpful for beginners who may struggle to quiet their mind. There are plenty of free meditation apps available that offer guided meditations for beginners.